RE: Chuck's problem?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Chuck's problem?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:40:13 -0800
        Joe:

        This was not my understanding (although the description was not
precise enough to be certain, so I could be full of hooey).
        My understanding was that the noise occurred after two minutes,
independent of load. My carefully reasoned wild guess was that it was
thermally dependant. I.e. the motor warms up, and starts making racket.
He did mention that the motor was noisy when he was breaking in the cam.
Here is a recap of the mods (not all of them were in his original note):

        Head milled to 3.3 inches (About 11:1 Compression ratio)
        Copper head gasket
        1.55 ratio rockers
        0.293 lift cam (0.454 total lift) Don't know the duration.
        Block decked (how much??)

        So his compression ratio is well over 11:1. With
a decked block and a copper head gasket, he almost no piston to
head clearance. With that cam and rockers and milled head, he has
almost no piston to valve clearance, and depending on the springs
he is using, he may not have any valve spring coil clearance. He is
running tubular pushrods, and depending on the length, he may not
have any adjustment left on his rockers.
        Chuck: Have I got all this correct?
        Anyway, Chuck is out to build one serious motor. Sissies
need not apply. With all that milling, shaving, and special doo-dads,
seems like something is likely to be hitting something else.
That's my guess....
        Chuck will set us all straight when he gets the motor
open.

        Vance