timing adjust

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: timing adjust
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:56:50 -0500
I'm trying to work up the "rattle" I have at 2800-3000 RPM.  I have an early
distributor with vaccum advance as well as retard.  So, I do not not have the
"microadjust" nut that is on the later cars.  I see that the vaccum unit is on
a threaded rod.  Can I rotate the vaccum unit clockwise to retard the timing,
or do I have to slacken up the distributor to accomplish this?  I'm embarassed
to ask...clockwise or counter clockwise on the distributor to retard?  I've
turned the unit clockwise a couple of rotations.  The rattle is still there.
(the car still runs great)
Joe Davis