Removing the cork residue

To: "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Removing the cork residue
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:21:38 -0500
I am going to be installing one of Justin Wagner's valve cover gaskets on my
TR6 shortly, but have encountered some stubborn cork residue.  The surface
needs to be really clean to obtain a good seal on the silicon gasket so I'm
in need of your help.  I've tried applying a little mineral spirits to
loosen it up with limited results, and I've also tried using a wire brush
attached to my drill.

What have you folks done to get the valve cover clean as a whistle before
putting on one of these handy dandy gaskets?

Thanks,

R. Ashford Little II

'70 TR6 <http://www.geocities.com/ralittle2>