Roof Frame question

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Roof Frame question
From: "Steve Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:08:43 -0800
Greetings all,

Well spring is here so it's time to work on the roof.

The primary spreader bar that runs from right to left and carries the
latches is held on the frame (at each side) with what appears to be a
3/8' swedged stud.  Is this bar supposed to "float" a bit or should it
be solid.

When I picked this up the suggestion was made to just weld it in place,
but it looks like it was designed to have some give

Any ideas, or is my description so out there as to be un-findable

Thanks

Steve