Distributorless Ignition System Project Report

To: "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributorless Ignition System Project Report
From: "Kendall Larsen" <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 14:16:23 -0800
Hello List,

        This ones for those of you interested in digital engine management for
your
Triumph. Last year I worked on a senior project for my engineering degree
that involved designing a prototype distributorless ignition system. You can
look at pictures of the installation here:

http://homepages.wwc.edu/student/larske/

-click on the link "short" for just the pictures

-click on the link "long" to download the word document of the full write up
(never mind the shameless self promotion - unless you're hiring of
course:) )

Here's the brief timeline of the project.

I've had dreams of putting a fuel injection system very similar to Rick's
EFI on my car for several years now. While I was in school it was little bit
hard to find the time or money to do such a thing though. But for my senior
project I decided to take a smaller chunk of the EFI system, the ignition
and do that. That was Fall 2002.

Winter 2003: I purchased the parts. Trigger wheel and senor from
Electromotive-Inc. and the coil packs.

Spring 2003: Not much at all.

Summer 2003: I did the TR6 part of the project. Converted to an electric
fan. Mounted trigger wheel on the front pulley. Manufactured bracket for
sensor.

Fall 2003: Wired everything together, and spent a bunch of time designing a
circuit to  make the sensor output computer friendly. Then finally spent
hours and hours programming the little 8-bit processor to make sense of the
sensor input and fire the coils at the right time.

Winter 2004: Got the write up done and the website built just after
Christmas. Then waited 3 months for whatever reason to post to the list. I'm
not driving the car on the system right now... because it still has a few
bugs. But it did work well enough to drive around town for awhile. Hope you
guys get a kick out of it.

Kendall Larsen
74.5 TR6