RE: Starter Wiring

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Starter Wiring
From: webb@daikin-america.com
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:59:07 -0600
I looked closer at the solenoid and found another terminal on the opposite
side than shown in Dan Master's diagram and it is labeled "IGN" (ignition
of course). Is this my missing terminal?  Vance noted that the PO may have
left it disconnected because the Crane XR700 ignition doesn't need it.

The only other markings that I could find is " STA" next to the bottom
terminal that connects directly to the starter.

Any comments? I'm leaning toward leaving the loose wire disconnected and
the 2 white/orange wires connected to the top terminal per Vance's
recommendation unless it acts up later when I finally get this beast
cranked up.

Thanks to all who have helped on this issue and I appreciate your patience
- I'm not familiar with the Crane ignition and don't have instructions for
it yet,
Pat

Pat:

           Sounds like the loose wire is intended to bypass the ballast
resistor during starting. Since the DPO changed the ignition, and
possibly the coil, he left the bypass disconnected since it
was no longer necessary for the crane setup.
           If the starter has ever been rebuilt, the terminals
may well be different (ask me how I know) since replacing the
solenoid is a standard part of any rebuild.
           If the starter has been performing well, I would leave the
orange wires where they are, since it would seem that the solenoid
is not original and hence the wiring diagram is not applicable.

           all IMHO, of course,

           Vance