Ignition key relocation

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Ignition key relocation
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 05:47:41 -0700 (PDT)
Several years ago I moved the key in my 1970 TR6 from the original location to
the center of the plinth where the heater/choke etc are located and in my view
it is one of the simplest and cheapest improvements you can make to your 6.  I
purchased an ignition for a TR4A from one of the big 3, made 5 or 6 pigtails to
lengthen the old wires and plugged them in to the new ignition switch.  Note,
make sure you use the same gauge wire and also it is a good idea to try to use
different color wires to keep track of what goes where (I learn by trial and
error, mostly error).  If you look at the back of the plinth where you plan to
put the new key will you will see that there is a hole in the metal that is
covered by the foam and plastic covering the plinth area so all you have to do
is punch a hole through the plastic.  I did note several issues afterward that
I would have done a little differently.  Someone told me that on the TR 250s
and maybe the early 6s had the key in the plinth area
 (Moss doesn't show this) but it was 1 hole to the right of the center.  I
don't know this to be a fact but if a nearness to original is an issue you may
want to check on this.  Secondly the ignition switch I bought had bad threads
on it so the switch moves a little when I use it (I'll get another one
eventually).  The original ignition switch/lock has those anti theft screws on
them that make it difficult to remove.  At the moment I still have the old one
in place with the key in the on position to keep it from locking.  Next time I
have to get under the dash for something I will learn more about removing the
old one.

Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6