Re: cam break in?'s

To: rsh17@msn.com (Richard Seaton)
Subject: Re: cam break in?'s
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:54:16 -0700
Richard---It is probably not a good idea to break in a new cam at the
same time as installing untried carburetors. But, I'm sure it's been
done many times. The idea here, according to Kastner, is to "work
harden" the new cam by holding a steady state period for around 20
minutes, at around 1500 to 2000 rpm. For reasons that I don't fully
understand, variations in engine speed, such as when "blipping the
throttle", is to be avoided.

If it is necessary to stop the engine during this period, such as to
stop an oil or water leak, just add up all of the run times to equal the
20 minutes. Idling an engine during this time is not advised, due to
less oil splashup from the crankshaft.

Dick