Re: string alignment

To: mbullard@verizon.net (Mark Bullard)
Subject: Re: string alignment
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:45:39 -0700
Mark---I saw the article in Grass Roots Motor Sports, about 15 years
ago. I may still have a copy of his proceedure I can mail you, if you
think you want to do this. It's really not difficult (or I couldn't do
it) to use. Four jack stands, some string, a plumb bob, chalk, and a
machinists' scale that measures to 1/32".

I won't try to give the details here, as it is too lengthy, but the idea
is to find the distance difference between the front of the tire side
wall to the rear of the same tire's sidewall, measured out to a taut
string. The difference is the "toe." The difference in the front and
rear track is also considered when setting up. Sounds more difficult
than it is.

I've used this method for years now, and my tires always wear
"straight". Also kind of neat to feel the difference when setting up
both front and rear for toe-out!

Dick