RE: Single vs dual exhaust

To: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Single vs dual exhaust
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:25:45 -0700
        RML:

        A minor detail; I noticed that the stock
dual exhaust manifold has a hole in it between
the two exit ports, presumably to provide the
function of a cross over pipe. That is an old
trick to share the pressure pulses between
the two pipes, permitting higher flow since
the peak pressures are reduced in each pipe.
        I thought this was rather clever, although
I don't know how effective it is compared to a
more conventional solution. I am used to the
hot rodders method of installing a true dual
exhaust, but then adding a crossover underneath
the car. For a V8, putting a crossover in the
manifold itself is not an option, but for a
straight 6 motor, it is.
        Gotta admire those Brits. They are a clever
lot.

        Vance