Re: ANSA/Monza using Flowmaster

To: M D Nugent <carcentric@yahoo.com>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: ANSA/Monza using Flowmaster
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 09:47:25 -0400
Hi Doc,

was looking for Cyclone Sonic Turbo on the web and found this article
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/exhausttheory.htm

Excerpt....
According to the flowbench, two of the best flowing units you can buy
are the Walker Dyno Max and the Cyclone Sonic. They even slightly out
flow the straight through designs from HKS and GReddy BL series. Amongst
the worst, are the Thrush Turbo and Flow Master mufflers. We'll flow
some of the newer mufflers as they become available at our local Chief
auto.

Lots of opinions out there I guess...

I would like good flow, not excessively load (annoyingly load?
subjective I know) and would like it to sound something like a
Triumph... I'm open to suggestions.

I've ordered Falcon headers from TRF. I think they use 2.25" pipe. I
assume I should use that all the way back. Kas says a single 2.5" pipe
is best but he was probably spending a lot more time at 6K than I will be.

The cam is 274 duration, 222 @ .050", .426 valve lift, lobe angle 110.
The head will be at 9.5:1 CR, oversized valves, 3 angle I hope, and mild
porting (Per Kas). Bottom end balanced. I have been told the dual ZS and
stock headers will not keep up with this head -- thus the Falcon Headers.

Any opinions of Cyclone Sonic or DynoMax? Vizard recommends Cyclone
Sonic in his "Tuning the A series engine". He recommends Dyno Max in
another book.

Thanks,

Don Malling