Timing problem

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing problem
From: DaCRANEz@aol.com
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 16:34:07 EDT
I haven't been able to get my newly rebuilt engine to idle evenly.  After
multiple carb adjustments and checking carefully for vacuum leaks I came to the
conclusion that there is a problem with the timing.  Before I tear into the
timing chain cover I thought I'd get a second opinion.  I pulled the
distributor
to check if per Bentley the slot in the distributor drive was lined up with
the holes in the pedestal mount.  It is not. I am off by a cam gear tooth
counter-clockwise.  I Moved it to the correct position and the car  won't start
without twisting the distributor fully clockwise to its limit. I assume this
corresponds to one tooth off on the cam sprocket.  This was done with the
pointer
at 4 degrees ATDC firing on #1.  I was meticulous when installing the new crank
and cam sprockets in transferring the timing marks and lining them up with
the arrow on the front mounting plate.  Would going to the 150PI cam affect
this?  Am I on the right track?   Help!!!
Mike C  '71 TR6