RE: Valve cover filler cap

To: "6-Pack \(E-mail\)" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Valve cover filler cap
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 21:21:48 -0400
Well I have heard from a number of list members and it appears that all but
one have the same experience with the Triumph Tune aluminum valve covers.
The one positive reporter also had an oozing cap until the engine was
rebuilt.

It must be that these caps offer little or no baffling to separate the oil
vapors from blow by air escaping the tiny vent hole. The cure appears to be
a freshly rebuilt engine but with the age of most TR6's out there this is an
expensive remedy. Suggestions of a larger vent tube or addition of a second
vent hose have also been made. On the other hand the original sheet metal
cover didn't leak a drop.

Still wondering about plugging the tiny vent hole as it seems to provide
miniscule pressure relief as compared to the 1/2" breather hose. For me,
this problem will end soon with the planned engine replacement but I believe
a different cap or an improved design is in order.

Thanks to all who responded,

Rick

>  Last year I added an aluminum valve cover. It says Triumph Tune and
probably came from TRF. The filler cap is always oozing oil, not a lot but
enough to make a mess.. Not exactly sure if it's from the little vent hole
or the gasket but I suspect the vent hole. My engine is on the tired side so
there is a little blow by but there are provisions for that out the valve
cover's side vent.