Re-webbing seat belts

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re-webbing seat belts
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:46:12 -0700
    Folks:

        I have been wanting to get my seat belts re-webbed for a while
due to fading (beige belts in a black interior just look BAD. Dying them
helped a bit, but not enough.). I finally pulled them out of the 6, and
headed off to the auto upholstery shop. After 2 shops turned me down
(too difficult, we are not in that business, etc) I went to my LBC
mechanic, and he said that he had a guy who would do it, provided that I
disassembled and reassembled the belts. He has had too many complaints
about not reeling up, reeling up too hard, etc, so he leaves it to the
customer, but will make new webs and stitch on the buckles, etc.
        So I tore apart my Kangols last night, and what I found made my
heart skip a beat. One of the belts had it's inertial ratchet finger
(called a "pawl") rusted in place. In a collision, the pendulum would
have been unable to move the pawl to lock the belt, and the wearer of
the belt would have hit the windshield. At that point, I was not sure
which belt was which, so I can't say if it was the driver or the
passenger belt that had the problem.
     So boys and girls, take a tip from "Captain Safety"; If you are
using 30 year old seat belts, pop them open, and check their
functionality and add a drop of oil to the pawl fulcrum and other moving
parts. Don't force the constable to use your dental work to identify
your remains in the event of a collision! That would be messy, very
messy.

        Captain Safety
        In her majesty's service