Re: Distributor Timing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Distributor Timing
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 15:13:08 -0700
Bob---I'm always glad to know your view on things!  I guess I need to
re-emphasize the point I was making here, as I was not so much trying to
pick on Mr. Bentley and his writers, but to bring to light a potential
setup issue with the timing. It could very well be that this group
merely "copied" tho I haven't seen such details from Triumph handbooks.

Again, my point is this: If one were to set the dynamic timing at 4
deg.ATDC with the engine idling, Vacuum Unplugged, as written in the
Bentley, this would then send the timing to around 20 ATDC with the
retard reconnected. Regardless of the origination, I believe is to be an
error.

I happen to think that a 4 deg.ATDC (at idle, retard connected)
operation doesn't interfere with a good running engine. We know the
retard "disappears" once the engine is off idle speeds. It is said to be
helpful in reducing some type of emissions, notably NOx.

My owners manual said the timing should be set  to 4deg.ATDC, but
doesn't say to "first disconnect the vacuum lines". There in lies my
bone of contention.  My umbrella is now open.

Dick

Bob Lang wrote:

.....I hate to rain on the parade, but the Bentley TR6 manual is a
factory reprint. So if Bentley goofed, it's likely because they copied
the factory verbatim.
But we're missing the point here. The FACTORY was obliged to meet US
emissions levels _at idle_. The vac. retard reduces those emissions....
..We as current owners of these cars have the hindsight to conclude that
the factory settings robbed the motor of power. BUT, this also means
that we choose to make our motors produce more "bad stuff" in the name
of more power/better fuel economy....
regards,
rml
Bob Lang