Re: Distributor Timing, Part II

To: lang@isis.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Distributor Timing, Part II
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:50:48 -0700
 Bob---I looked up what the official TRIUMPH OPERATION & REPAIR MANUAL
had to say about where to set the distributor timing. I should have
compared the two before writing that the Bentley publication was wrong,
but I didn't. Now that I did, I can report that the Bentley IS wrong in
86.35.15, step 14. It appears that they added this step, so far as
removing the retard vacuum before proceeding to set the timing. The
T.O.R.M. makes no mention of this at all, inferring that the (dynamic)
timing should take place with the vacuum retard connected. The 4 deg.
ATDC still holds true, if you run with the retard unit in place.  I
c.c.'d the List, as others were also wondering.

Even the T.O.R.M. is capable of mistakes, as instruction 13 shows the
idle timing to be set at 40 deg. ATDC.  Blatant typos we can work
around, and disregard.

In another section, both this manual and the Bentley show the "milled
cutaway" in the wrong place for timing of the camshaft. More on this
later, if anyone's interested.

Dick

From: lang@isis.mit.edu(Robert M. Lang) Date: Mon, May 10, 2004,
4:17pm (PDT+3) To: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)