Re: Question - Tube Shock Conversion

To: 105671.471@compuserve.com, LaJoMor@aol.com
Subject: Re: Question - Tube Shock Conversion
From: "Jay Welch" <jay_welch@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:30:13 GMT
Thanks for the replies Guys.  My plan was to drill as necessary but wanted to
touch base with BPNW first.

I spoke to Leighton today at British Parts Northwest regarding the sizing of
the bushings for the TR6 tube shock conversion that they have been selling.
Always a pleasure chatting with those guys.

Leighton discussed it with others at BPNW and they agreed that the upper attach
point (on the conversion bracket) should be drilled to accomodate the bushing.
Apparently the bushings that are in the kit come with the KYB shocks that they
use in the kit.  They will be changing the spec of the bracket to reflect the
7/8" hole dimension for the upper attach point.

I think I'll check out the local parts stores to see if they have 3/4" bushings
as I don't really want to drill the trailing arm from 3/4" to 7/8" and have the
next owner calling me a DPO :-)  I'll then drill the bracket to the 3/4"
dimension and be good to go.

Jay Welch
Abington, MA
TR6s
Member Cape Cod British Car Club CCBCC http://www.capecodbritishcarclub.org/

-- Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com> wrote:
Message text written by Jay Welch
>I have a question concerning the tube shock conversion from BPNW.  I
bought this conversion kit over a year ago and am just getting to install
them.  They look pretty good, certainly easy....but, the bushings don't
apear to be sized correctly for the TR6.  The holes in the lower attach
point are 3/4" (original Triumph attach point).  The  The upper attach
point holes in the new brackets are 7/16".  The bushings are 7/8".  In my
world, the holes should match the bushing "stepped" area such that when
installed the two bushings actually come in contact with each other
isolating the shock absorber from the frame/bracket such that no part of
the tube shock shaft comes in contact with either attach point.

Has anyone else run into this?  I'll be calling BPNW tomorrow to see what
their opinion might be.
<

The set I installed had holes large enough to allow the bushings to isolate
the shaft as you stated.  I suspect these missed a step during fabrication.
 Easy enough to fix if you have a 3/4 inch drill, a 7/8 drill bit and a big
vice well secured to a heavy work bench.

Dave