blue smoke on start up--new engine

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: blue smoke on start up--new engine
From: Colin Thom <colinthom@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 20:59:16 -0700
Hi Gang,

I've just put my 75 on the road, after a full resto. The fully rebuilt
engine's 40 over, been balanced and ported, has a 270 cam, cr of 9.5, a
header and a free-flow stainless exhaust system. I also installed one of
those external oil lines that goes from the block to the head. The car's
got 1000 miles on it since I put it on the road. The guy who built my
engine up is the best around, and very well respected by all the people
whose opinions matter here in Vancouver, BC where we have a pretty big
Brit car scene. Here's the thing..I get a puff of blue when I start the
car, mostly when it's warm. Today I was at the All British Field Meet,
and the car (3rd in class out of 20 TR6s!) was parked on a bit of a side
hill. I got a really big puff of blue when I started it at the end of
the day. It was actually hard to start, which it never is. I've spoken
to the engine guy about it, and I doubt his workmanship is to blame.
He's wondering how well the rocker cover is breathing, thinking the
carbs could be sucking in a really oil-rich mist through that hose from
the rocker cover, and also wondering if we should install some O-rings
on the valve stems. As I said, I don't suspect this guy's workmanship,
and I don't doubt for a minute that he'll do the right thing if indeed
something he did has indeed gone south. Any ideas/comments about O-rings
on the valve stems, or the issue of the rocker cover breathing as well
as it should? As always, all input is appreciated.

Thanks..Colin Thom CF31098UO