Re: Uprated Springs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Uprated Springs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 12:14:35 -0700
Don---I can only offer some generalities about springs.

The thicker the wire, the higher the rating.

The closer the spring is to the road wheel, the more weight it will
carry, per inch of compression.

The more coils it has per unloaded inch, the lower the rating (compared
to the same diameter spring/wire with fewer coils)

The larger the diameter, the lower the rating. (All other things being
equal)

So, Don, on your new front springs, having both more coils and being
shorter than stock, I'm pretty sure that your front end will ride lower
than with the stock springs. (Unless the wire diameter is a Lot Thicker)

If your rear springs have gone soft thru years of service, they could
indeed be shorter. (Did you see lots of negative camber)?

The TR4A may ride higher with the uprated springs because it carries
less weight.

I don't recall the height difference between my front and rear (uprated)
springs, but sure that the fronts were shorter than the rears. The front
of my car sits an 1.5" lower than the rear, also! I happen to like this
look.

At this point about all you can do is install these new springs to see
if you like them. Can you return them if they don't live up to how they
are listed?

Dick

Don Malling wrote:
Subject: Uprated springs TR250
I've purchased some 30% uprated springs and they are supposed to deliver
a stock ride height.
As compared to the stock springs, the coils on the uprated springs are
thicker in diameter and there are more coils than on the stock springs.
In the case of the rear springs, both the stock springs and the uprated
springs are the same height -- both unloaded. However in the case of the
front springs, the uprated springs are about 3/4" shorter than the stock
springs.
This doesn't make sense to me. Seems both the front and rear should be
the same height difference as compared to the stock springs. The rears
should not be the same height while the fronts are shorter.
The company I bought them from said the uprated springs should be
shorter than the stock because they are stronger -- which makes sense.
They then suggested that my stock rear springs should be taller than
they are, and taller than the uprated springs. They suggested that my
rear springs have sagged but the fronts have not.
They also said the rear uprated springs make a TR4A ride higher than
stock but that they didn't think it was true for the TR250. Seems to me
the TR250 and TR4A are the same. This doesn't make sense to me.
The uprated rear springs are 11" tall and the uprated front springs are
9.5" tall.
All measurements and comparisons were made with all springs unloaded --
out of the car.
I am the original owner, so I know the springs are stock.
Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Don Malling