Re: Whole lotta' shakin' goin on

To: jmerone@rocketmail.com
Subject: Re: Whole lotta' shakin' goin on
From: richard.r.olson@faa.gov
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:46:35 -0400
I had a nasty vibration (shift, pedal, steering wheel, all over) that
started at around 30mph and got worse up to about 55-60 then smoothed out a
little.  I used the shotgun approach - replaced all diff mounts and front
end rubber with poly, all new U-joints and for good measure, got new tires.
Still had the vibration!

Turns out the rear gearbox mount rubber had virtually melted to sludge
after being repeatedly doused with 90W gear oil slowly leaking out of the
rear of the gearbox over several years.  Thus, there was almost no support
in this area and when getting up to speed, things would shake loose.  A new
rear mount (and fixing the leak) made the vibration go away.

Good Luck
Rick Olson
'72 TR6