Re: Strengthening the frame of a TR6

To: "Mary & Carl Feickert" <feickert@charter.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Strengthening the frame of a TR6
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:39:09 -0400
Hi Carl,

TR frames rust from the inside out and it is very likely that what you see
on the outside is nothing compared to the inside.   This is a very common
problem from TR IRS frames and the best remedy is to have a competent
welding shop replace these section with new reproductions available from a
number of sources.  It is almost a given that most TR IRS frames you run
across either had this work done already or are in need of it.

To weld in patch panels will only postpone the inevitable, to bolt them in
is most likely an exercise in futility as the stresses are not going to be
distributed to the surrounding chassis areas that add strength.  There are
also tube spacers inside the chasis section for each of the bolt holes that
prevent deformation of the frame where the trailing arm mounts are attached.
These tubes sometimes rust and drop out of position and rattle around inside
the chassis section.  The lack of these tubes further weakens the chassis in
this crucial area.  The only advice I would make is to weld in new sections.

Greg Dito
CD6250L