Re: noise in tranny (new thread)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: noise in tranny (new thread)
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 19:30:36 EDT
Speaking of tranny noises,,, well, I don't really have a noise, rather a
vibration.  I installed a used A-type overdrive about 6 months ago.  Everything
works great, except I get a slight rumbling feeling when I left off the gas and
coast at speeds above 50 mph.  I have the rumbling in both direct and
overdrive, but it seems more pronounced in overdrive.  There is no rumbling
sensation
when the car is under load.  In fact, I can feather power on and off just
slightly and get the rumbling when power is off.  All the U-joints are fine,
and I
rotated the drive shaft 180 degrees to see if it was out of balance.  It has
been suggested that it is only slightly out of balance, and I should
experiment with adding weights to the drive shaft.  I' m concerned the source
of the
vibration is in the transmission or the OD unit.  The tranny had about 60,000
miles on it, and on inspection, it looked great (the fluid was drained when I
got it).  The car had no vibration at all with the 4-speed.
Joe Davis