Re: Rough Running TR6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rough Running TR6
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:46:17 -0700
Ron---Just want to clear up a couple of points here.
The timing doesn't retard when the coolant temp reaches 200 deg.  The
timing advances by canceling the ignition retard.

Wh the retard system is operating as designed, it can retard timing by
as much as 16 deg.  You timing changing less than that (12 BTDC to 4
BTDC shows some loss here, but it's not critical. It's more important to
have the timing set where you now have it with the vacuum line "plugged"
so the ignition is timed correctly when you're driving.

Some of the later cars have small  fuel traps in the vacuum line lines.
Can't comment on these.

Sorry about your loss.

Dick Taylor

Ron wrote:

......I was not aware that the vacuum system retarded the timing or was
I aware that the timing retarded when the coolant reached 200 degrees.
When I was working on the car it was hot outside and the coolant was hot
probable over 200 degrees at the time. I reset the timing with the
engine at normal operating temperature and the timing did change when I
removed the hose from the distributor. I set the timing to 12 degrees
BTDC with the hose off. When I plugged the hose back in the timing went
to 4 degrees BTDC, Isn't it supposed to go to go to 4 degrees ATDC?
Also, when I unplugged the hose from the carburetor it looked as if
there was gas on the fitting. I am sure this is not correct. Any
suggestions on what is happening here?
For the good news I took the car in for the emission testing and passed
so I am good for two more years.
Thanks again to everyone for their help, Ronald Olds