Re: Gunst Bearing Patent Topic

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gunst Bearing Patent Topic
From: "steve bridge" <slbridge@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 18:40:25 +0000
I am no expert, but it is my understanding:

    In the US, You have 2 years from the date you first offer it for sale to
apply for a patent.  When an idea hits me, I make a pen and ink drawing of
my idea, copy it at the Public Library and have the Notary there notarize
the copied page.  It is then undeniably dated by an official witness and any
changes made afterward would be detectable.  You can go into production and
after two years of selling you apply for a Patent and then enjoy certain
protections "Patent Pending" but they are mostly the right to sue and
recover costs.  Great if you have assets on par with the infringer.  After
approval, the life of the patent depends on what it is.

   "Patent it Yourself" is an excellent book for us mechanics, lots of good
ideas for evaluating an invention too.

    I decided from my reasearch, a patent search is a waste of money since
the Patent Office has the final word regardless of what some researcher says
about your invention. I copied the written part of a successful patent  I
found in an engineering library replacing my info with theirs. I figured if
it passed once, it will again, and it did.  The drawings are black ink on
Bristol Board showing 3 sides.  The type of drawing you may have done in
Junior High or High School drafting classes. Easily done even if you didn't
have drafting in school. My invention was the "Motor Toter"  a truck ( cart
) to hold that lump of heavy iron Street Rod or Muscle Car motor.  The first
one I built had wheels made of 6 inch schedule 40 pipe and a 1/4 inch flat
iron box.  Looked like a rectangle oil pan sized wheel barrow. I improved
them with 6 inch semi-pnuematic tires at one end and removable handles on
the other.  With the soft tires, I could RUN up a motorcyle ramp into the
back of a pickup or down a gravel drive with a complete small block Chevy in
it.
   I mailed my application with $186 to the Patent Office who had no problem
with the claim and the drawings, but for their denial, they gave examples of
"Prior Art" :  whiskey barrel trucks from the 19th century. They DID look a
lot like what I had designed...
    BTW  I still have the first unit with a TR6 motor setting in it.  It
moves easily for sweeping the shop ( as if I could hit the floor with a
broom lately)

SDSteve

Check out the new British Cars Forum: