TR6 overheating update

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 overheating update
From: me@jasonwgeorge.ca
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 00:00:39 +0100 (BST)
Hi all,

Thanks for ALL your suggestions, I'm going through them one by one short
of taking the engine apart and cleaning out the passages. For those just
joining in, this is re: a '73 TR6 engine in a TVR 2500M.

There is more to the story and - of course - I'm not the idiot to blame.
:) Will fill you in when its resolved.

On the suggestion of one member I hooked a hose up to the rad and started
the engine and let the water cycle through. It seemed to come out at the
same rate it was going in.

Is there any chance (due to blockage) that the coolant could be cycling
through the head and rest of the system just find but bypassing the block?

I now also know my temp sender/gauge is screwed:  with cool water passing
through the system, the sender/gauge was reading 90 deg. Celsius. The
sender is at the thermostat and this doesn't seem right to me.

Another factoid:  my modified cooling system seems to only take 4 liters
of water. A little less than 2 liters sit in the rad itself. Would another
2 liters fill the block, heater, manifold and hoses? I know this isn't
much coolant but it is a modified system and has a heck of a lot of fans
to back it up.

Thanks again!
Jason

Check out the new British Cars Forum: