Drive line vibration

To: 6-Pack email list <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Drive line vibration
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 11:54:46 -0400
OK, I am totally frustrated. I have been trying to hunt down a vibration
at speed that seems to be intermittent.
Recap----Last summer I broke a Diff mount in a local car show auto-X,
pulled the rear , made the repair & boxed in the supports. All is good
but now I noticed a vibration at speed (45-60mph ) . I find a worn hub
bearing that's thumping & replace that. Vibration is mostly gone but is
still noticeable . No low end knock, balanced drive shaft, all new
U-joints & solid, very little diff (or trany ) whine at low speed,
smooth acceleration to 50 , then a definite vibration comes in. Worse
under load ,never terrible, but there. After driving at highway speed
for a while some times it disappears. It's predictable like a tire
imbalance but affected by load, yet it does not happen at low speeds.
Could a diff side carrier bearing be bad? The diff has well over 100,000
miles on it. Could a trany bearing cause this. The transmission works
perfectly.
This morning I put the car on jack stands & tried to isolate the noise
with a stethoscope. A steady thump  seemed to be coming from the diff
but then quieted down after about 5 min. When I turn the tire by hand I
can feel a definite thump during each revolution. If it is the rear I
question why the symptom only appears at speed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'm toasted.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: