Re: Lifts

To: "John North" <jnorth@novagate.com>
Subject: Re: Lifts
From: "Mike" <74@tr6world.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:19:50 -0400
John,

I use a 4 post lift (hobby/storage lift) to stack my MINI Cooper and the

TR6. You are right, it expands space at minimal cost.
I have an aresco brand http://www.aresco.org/new_page_1.htm and have been

very happy. Things to take into consideration when planning on putting a

lift in your garage:
1. Be sure you have adequate space/height. Measure the height of both cars,

add 5 inches for the lift patform and then add another 5 more inches because

you will need that for clearance for both the top and bottom car. Make sure

your garage height is greater than the total of what I just mentioned.
2. Be sure you have a 110 vold plug connection, not the 220. Usually these

lifts are not being put up and down several times a day and a smaller motor

running on 110 has served me well for the last 5 years. I have never blown

a fuse either.
3. Consider paying extra money for aluminum ramps..... Steel ones come
standard, but are very heavy and hard on the back to put on and off.
4. be sure that your car antenna is removable or retracts so that if you

put your car up, it won't hit the ceiling.
5. Don't plan on having junk (forage items) in the 1 car garage against
the walls around the lift. If you position the lift so that the posts are

against 1 wall.... say the passanger side....... then only very narrow items

like rakes, brooms and other garage items can fit. Garbage cans, boxes and

other wide items will not allow the lift to lower...... they will be in the

way. Just realize that it will take up room.
6 Make sure you measure your garage space carefully. Then look closely
at the lift measurements. You may find your lift will be a tight fit. If

that is the case, I think Stinger makes a short version of a 4 post lift.

This will work much better in tight spaces. stingerlifts.com
7. Check the accessories section of the sites that sell lifts. One accessory

to seriously consider other than the aluminum ramps are the drip covers.

You don't want any oil to drip on the car below right?..... unless your
TR6 doesn't drip any oil!

That is a pretty good start for now. Let us know what you decide to do.

Thanks,

Mike Brinker
74 TR6
2002 MINI Cooper