RE: are cam bearings necessary?

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: are cam bearings necessary?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 11:24:28 -0700
        Joe:

        To answer that question, a couple of questions need to be
considered first.

        1. Are the cam journals in good shape? Are they scored, out of
round, other otherwise mangled? If so, then you will need to line bore
and install cam bearings, simply to restore correct functionality to
your motor.
        2. If the journals are in good shape, are you running
competition valve springs with a rally/sprint or race cam? If so, the
valve springs demanded by that type of cam will increase the loadings on
the cam journals and will require bearings. A mild street cam with stock
or near stock valve springs will not be a problem. But the wilder you go
on your cam shaft, the more cam bearings make sense.

        When I rebuilt my motor, the cam journals were in perfect
condition after 70,000 miles, so I didn't bother. There was no scoring
or wear in evidence. The cam itself had journals that were perfect as
well (although one of the lobes was ground flat, but that is another
story). My cam is a 270/272 cam with almost stock idle, and TR6 PI valve
springs. Based on what the factory did, I would say you only need
bearings if your cam is in excess of 280 degrees.

        You should be aware, however, that this is from a guy who
decided not to go with hardened valve seats either, so I am a bit of a
cowboy.

        YMMV.

        Vance

        1974-1/2 Momosa yellow TR6.