RE: cylinder head exhaust outlets and push rods

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>, <rlambour@comcast.net>
Subject: RE: cylinder head exhaust outlets and push rods
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:42:40 -0800
        Richard:

        There is no "lining". I suspect it is some combination of
residues from fuel/oil/coolant that has accumulated in your motor over
the years.
        It is always best to return used engine components to their
original locations when reassembling the engine, as components "wear
mate" to one another. In some cases, failure to do so will result in a
catastrophic engine failure within a few hundred miles (cam lifters,
for instance) and in some cases there will be little, if any impact.
        Push rods fall into the latter category. If you were going to
be completely anal about it you would need to replace the lifters too,
since the push rods wear mate to the lifters. 'Course that means you
would need to replace the cam, since the lifters wear mate to the cam
as well. And then there are the adjuster screws, and while you are at
it, those roller rockers arms you have been wanting...
        Me, I would just pop the push rods back in, and forget it. Now
if I had not labeled the lifters, then I *WOULD* replace them. "Honey,
I am sorry but I messed up and now I need to buy that new racing
camshaft for the 6." Great excuse to convince the wife to "improve"
the motor <evil grin>.

        Cheers,

        Vance