Re: oil change

To: "Ron Landis" <Ron.Landis@kentcounty.org>
Subject: Re: oil change
From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@ShoalsBritishCars.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 15:11:14 -0600
Ron,

Changing the diff fluid would be worthwhile.  It's probably 30 years old
(assuming it hasn't all leaked out over the years and slowly been replaced).
There is no drain plug on the TR6 diff so you'll either have to drill and
tap the aluminumum housing to install a plug or use an oil gun to suck the
oil out of the differential.  Make sure and use a GL4 oil.  Using GL5 oil in
the diff or tranny will eat the brass parts if used for an extended period
of time.  I prefer the RedLine synthetic oil that is rated for GL4 use.

You do not have to remove the transmission tunnel to change the gear oil in
the tranny.  You can use an oil gun to refill the transmission after you
drain it from below.

http://www.mayurtools.com/jeweller/f-han45.htm

The link above will show you what oil gun I'm talking about.  They are
inexpensive and available at any auto parts store.

Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org/
'74 Triumph TR6 (for sunny days)
'84 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo Diesel (for the wife to drive)
'90 Chevy S-10 (to fetch parts for the first two)