Opinion

To: <siberian@siberian.org>
Subject: Opinion
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:25:18 -0500
Hi John,

Only you can make the final decision.  If it was me, I would continue to
shop.

You should be sure of your objectives before you purchase any car.  What do
you want the car for?  Project? Driver? Concours? Since you have done this
before with a Camero, I think you have some idea of what you are in for.

When I was looking for a car, the most valuable piece of advice came from
this list.  It was, "Buy the best car you can afford.  Do not expect that
$8000 can turn a $1000 car into a $9000 car."

The rust bubbles on the rear wing are of great concern. If you have bubbling
here you must assume it is very bad underneath. Don't fall for "surface
rust".  There are no pleasent surprises on old TR6s. On the other hand, if
the car really had Ziebart, then maybe the frame is okay on the inside.

Here is a website I was looking at today.  This guy did a hell of a lot of
work on a car that did not look too bad on the outside. He spent $30k AU
(okay it's Australian, but it ain't chump change either - say $20K US) and
even then he had to scale back his ambitions.
http://home.iprimus.com.au/tridim/triumph/

Yes it can be done with enough time money and patience, but you a probabaly
looking at a frame off restoration or at least a lot of work with a frame on
refit.  I higly recommend the Roger Williams books How tor Restore/Improve
the TriumpH TR5, 250 & 6.  Yes, you can spend $50 (US) on these 2 books, but
unlike a Heritage Certificate, these will be good for every car and you will
better be able to gauge what needs to be done.

Best of Luck,
John Cyg.
Jalopy CC52927LO, '70 Damson