Re: Front brakes

To: <rgrothstein@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Front brakes
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:12:47 -0000
Bob Rothstein wrote:
The project sounds intriguing to cure anemic braking...

Anaemic braking? Bob, I'd say there is something seriously amiss in your
braking department. Admittedly, it's a long time since TR's were new but the
US spec TR had the same brakes as the fuel injected version which had plus
45 odd BHP and you could stop that on a dime from speed. Both my Triumphs
certainly had 'anaemic' brakes when I got them but rebuilding the front
calipers and servo, fitting new lines and rear wheel cylinders with Kevlar
front pads has transformed both of them. In fact, I'd say they're now better
than my Eurobox Citroen which has brake pressure sensing and discs on all
four wheels. IMHO, the disc/drum combo on two old Triumphs (that weigh the
better part of two tons in normal road-going trim) is still better than the
Citroen which, by European standards, has always had an enviable reputation
when it comes to stopping quickly. That said, my Triumphs aren't TR6's -
just bigger and heavier saloons.

Jonmac

"I have only once followed a rigid, cholesterol-free diet and it was the
most ghastly afternoon I can ever remember"       Denis Norden

---