Re: Throw out bearing, 2

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Throw out bearing, 2
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 23:33:02 -0800
 Jim---I, for one, had mentioned years ago that, as an experiment, I
tried using a bearing packer to load up a t/o bearing. There was only
limited success. It happened to be an RHP bearing, that has an
unshielded case. Just enough room to squeeze in some extra grease. This
isn't what we find on either the Koyo, or the Gunst bearing. Neither is
a sealed bearing, but they are shielded, so grease isn't easy to get in
(or out)!

Dick

Jim wrote:
List:
I am wondering about something regarding the lubrication of the throwout
bearing. I seem to recall not very long ago there was some discussion
about treating the bearing with a hot oil bath or greasing it using a
bearing packer. I cannot remember if there was any concensus about this
or if I'm remembering this correctly. If I am, would this not be at
least a partial solution to Eric's problem?

Jim
Hopefully driving my 72 this summer!