Rear axle removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear axle removal
From: DaCRANEz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:43:56 EST
Ron
 The half dozen nyloc nuts that secure the rear hub are accessable thru holes
in the hub itself. If you do remove these be sure to replace them with new
nyloc nuts.  Often the studs will back out of the swing arm as they are fine
thread fitted into aluminum.  Often they will also be stripped and you will
have
to drill them out for threaded inserts. They hold your rear wheel on -no
shortcuts here.
 I replaced the swing arm bushings without removing the axles.  I used a
threaded rod (3/8') and a 1/2" socket with washers to press out the old rubber
bushings.  The urethane replacements are 2 piece so don't require pressing. I
did
have to unbolt the frame brackets to get it to all line up. Make sure to
replace the alignment shims as they were when you took it apart.  You will need
undo the shock link and take the load off the spring. This is covered in most
quality repair manuals. A floor jack is a must. Good luck.

Mike C  '71 TR6