Sandblasting / rust treatment

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sandblasting / rust treatment
From: "Terry Geiger" <tgeiger@ShoalsBritishCars.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:57:53 -0500
Seeking advice on an upcoming project.

I have acquired a TR3 with surface rust but the body is very sound.  A
restoration was started some years ago and then the car wound up pushed out
into a field.  The car had been painted just before this and then it sat under
pine trees for about 8 years.  The acid from the pine needles ate the paint,
causing the surface rust.
See http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org/images/TR3/tr3_page001.htm for pictures.

I would think disassembling the car and sandblasting would be the most prudent
way to go but I've had bad experiences in the past with sandblasting.  I had a
Sunbeam Alpine blasted years ago and they waved the doors up badly (pressure
was too high) and it took quite a bit of body work to get the doors looking
good again.  I know there are new blasting media available but I'm not sure
which would be best in the situation I have.

Has anyone been through this recently and can recommend a good way to do this?
What type of blasting media, primer types, etc?

Thanks in advance,
Terry Geiger
Florence, Alabama USA
http://www.shoalsbritishcars.org
'74 TR6 (for sunny days)
'59 TR3A (basket case)
'84 Mercedes Benz Turbo Diesel (for the wife to drive)
'90 Chevy S10 (parts fetcher)