Re: Re Low oil pressure

To: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Re Low oil pressure
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 08:28:01 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 3 May 2005, Mitchel Seff wrote:

> I'm using 10-40w Castrol Syntec (yes, I know it's not a full synthetic).
> Why should I expect accelerated internal wear because of a different
> viscosity rating as long as my oil pressure is normal ?

I am not an engineer, so I cannot answer that question.

I do read the owner's manual, and that says "20w50" during normal
operating temps.

I know a bunch of folks that have run the 10w40 (which BTW is suggested in
the manual for cold temperature operation) year 'round, and all of them
had odd motor problems. One guy had a broken PISTON!

I've run Castrol 20w50 for over 130k miles, some of them very HARD (I
actually raced that car for more than two years) and it still has the
stock bores and the crank never needed turning and the small ends of the
rods were still within spec when I did the motor at 100k miles. If the
stupid mechanic (me) hadn't done one or two operations wrong, the car
would still have the unturned original crank in it.

So - if you use a synthetic, I'd look at the 15w50 or something with "50"
on the right side. That's the required viscosity of these motors for
normal operating temps.

> --
> Mitch Seff

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx