NPT tranny plug

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: NPT tranny plug
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 08:26:40 -0700
        John:

        It is BPT (British Pipe Thread). The US version National Pipe
Thread (NPT) will happily coexist, as the differences are minute. You
can run an NPT tap through them no problem. This is also the case for
UNF and UNC threads - SAE threaded fasteners are completely compatible
with their British counterparts, although once again there are minute
differences. I replaced all my square headed plugs with socket head NPT
plugs, and they seem to seal just fine.
        Having said that, there is a non-tapered version of the pipe
thread used in a couple of places on the car, where NPT is NOT
compatible. But the engine, tranny and diff plugs are tapered and are
compatible.
        Teflon tape will help stop leaks if cleaning the threads is not
enough.

        Be grateful that Triumph didn't use Whitworth tooling. Good luck
finding any Whitworth fasteners.

        Vance