Gear Box or Diff - Update

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear Box or Diff - Update
From: RJSmalling@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 07:42:21 EDT
Dear List,

I followed the recipe for isolating the source of my drive train grinding
noise that Vance laid out in his email and was able to rule out the gear  box.
Then getting under the car I took a good look at the prop shaft u  joints and
they seemed OK.  Not Good since that was the cheap and easy  repair I was
hoping for.  So next step was to pull the diff.  As  I separated the prop shaft
flange from the front of the diff the castellated nut  and remains of the split
pin fell out and I was able to just pull the front diff  flange off the
pinion!  The pinion and the pinion bearings have been  loosely held in place by
only
the prop shaft.  I think I've found  the cause of the problem.
I plan to take the diff  back to the shop that did the rebuild and  have it
checked out and retightened. Anything else I should do while it is  out?

Many thanks to all for sharing your wisdom and helping me track this one
down,

Rich Smalling
Sterling, Virginia
75 TR6 Carmine  Red