Importing a TR6 into the US from Canada

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Importing a TR6 into the US from Canada
From: Harry White N1QVE <harry15@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:26:36 -0400
Friends,

New guy in the club and on the list...

I just purchased a 1975 TR6 in Canada and I have a couple of questions
for someone who may have brought a Canadian-registered car into the USA.
  The Canadian seller will be driving the car over the border, through
Customs, and into a nearby US city. He emailed me this morning claiming
that I will need Customs Form 7501 (which of course is "temporarily
unavailable online") and that I will have to pay a duty of 1% on the
first $1000 and 2.5% on the balance of the purchase price.

Can someone give me a rundown of exactly what I should have ready for
the delivery? Anyone seen a Form 7501 (any supporting docs, etc.
required?)? Is it better if I drive it back into the US versus the
Canadian seller? Any distilled wisdom appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards,
Harry

--
Harry White
Ecologist and Director of Land Conservation