Lower T- Shirt

To: "Six Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lower T- Shirt
From: "Dennis Costello" <djc.tr6@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:59:18 -0500
Don Malling and Aaron Cropley replied to my question regarding reinforcing
the T - Shirt area of my frame and mentioned their concerns of excessive
temperatures in the area due to the exhaust passing through the area
occupied by the fuel line.  My feeble mind then was not sure, but remembered
my exhaust (twin pipe) not being within the space between the frame rails
and the T - Shirts.  So, I went to the garage and looked, and it is true, my
exhaust goes under the lower pressing.  In fact, it seems to have a slight
bend in the two intermediate pipes to accommodate the slight jog under the
area of the pressing.  Hmm, no wonder I can see the pipes from the side of
the car!  Is mine incorrect?  As a further clarification of what I was
attempting to suggest originally, if you look at photo 5-8 in the Roger
Williams book, you can see the two flanges of the channels are open to the
inside of the frame rails.  I was wondering about filling this in at the
outboard end with a strip, giving a second "boxed section" of lesser size
than the original.  My curiosity about closing in the cruciform area is
shown in the same book in photo 5-32-12.  This photo shows small gussets in
the corners, and is suggestive of what I had envisioned.  So, what do you
think?
Thanks Don and Aaron!
-Dennis
CF8659U