Re: Failed Pertronics, welding...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Failed Pertronics, welding...
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:11:16 -0700
 Michael---I don't think the failure of the Pertronics involved any
welding that took place on the chassis. Instructions on (my) welding
machine  include "removing both battery (post) cables  to insure that no
grounding takes place in the vehicle's electrical system" during chassis
welding.  (There are also warnings about "magnetic interferrence", but
implies that this can happen when welding on or near a running engine.)
Since you say you did not have the battery installed, the failure
must've been from other reasons.
FWIW, I also have noted that in trips to the muffler shop, they never
have disconnected the battery when using their arc,  MIG or TIG welders,
even on cars computer controlled.

Dick

TR6 lives again!!!! And a few questions
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question regarding a failed
Pertronix electronic ignition.
One hypothesis involved welding. I had a couple areas of the frame
reinforced while the engine was in the rolling chassis. Could it be that
the current from the welding fried the Pertronix? Neither the battery
nor ground strap was installed at the time of the welding, but all plug
and coil connections were in place.
Hopefully there won't be a need for frame welding in the future, but
I'll be sure to take out the new Pertronix if the need ever comes up.

Thanks to all for your advice and support.
Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6--now British Racing Green