Bosch Alternator Conversion and Followup Questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Bosch Alternator Conversion and Followup Questions
From: shewfamily@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 11:19:34 -0400
Thanks again to all who responded with the correct Bosch alternator. My prior
post to the Bosch post concerned my voltmeter dropping from 13.5 Volts to 12.5
Volts when I turned on my lights.  Some reponses indicated that I could be
losing Voltage to heat due to bad connections and some indicated that it might
be an alternator problem, so I decided to attack both.  My alternator was bad
and I did get the Ford Fiesta replacement and it mounted easily.  In cleaning
the connections for the headlight harness at the battery, I found them dirty,
but I also found a wire not connected. Of the three brown wires I found a very
large brown wire that was connected, a large connector that contains two
smaller brown wires that was connected and a third connector that has a medium
sized brown wire which was not connected.  I believe that I read somewhere that
a brown wire in a TR6 is designated as a power wire.  If this is the case, then
it stand to reason that all three of these wires ought to be connected to this
block to provide power.

Without connecting this brown wire, I cranked my car and found that the voltage
still dropped, but only from 13.5 Volts to 12 Volts.  I am thinking that
because this wire is not connected that I am not supplying enough power to the
system and therefore the drain-down of the 1.5 Volts.  Before I connect this
brown wire to the power block and start a fire, I wanted to check with the list
to make sure it is supposed to be connected at this point.  As always, I thank
you for your help and assistance.
John Shewmake
'74 TR6
Chattanooga, TN