Frantz Filters

To: "Patrick Bloem" <patrick.bloem@sbcglobal.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Frantz Filters
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 09:21:17 -0700
        Patrick:

        I read a little bit about this device. I cannot comment on the
merits of toilet paper as a filtering media. (I wonder if Charmin is
better than Wal-Mart at filtering those little bitty carbon particles.
Does perfumed toilet paper make more horsepower than unscented? How
would I feel knowing that my car was using something intended to wipe
people's a$$e$ to filter its lifeblood. All questions for more
intelligent people than I).
        But my ignorance has never stopped me from commenting on things
before, as list most members are painfully aware. Hah!
        One of the claims made is that the filtering is so good, you
need not change your oil. Just change the filter and top off the oil as
needed. I would dispute this claim vigorously, as it assumes that the
only reason oil is changed is because it gets dirty , and this is simply
not true.
        Several things change over time as the oil circulates during
service.
        1. Viscosity - as the oil is repeatedly sheared, the molecule
chains are mechanically fractured. The oil thins out.
        2. Acidity - Combustion byproducts accumulate in the oil, and
create acids which reduce the corrosion fighting properties of the oil.
        3. Evaporation - Some of the lighter fractions evaporate over
time, leaving the heavier products which tend to have inferior
lubricating properties. Even if your oil never burns a drop of oil, you
will see the oil level drop over time due to evaporation.
        4. Oxidation - There are antioxidants in the oil that resist
this, but they are consumed over time.

        So, sorry guys, I would be changing my oil anyway. The only nice
thing I can see about this setup is that it makes the oil filter remote.
Modern oils are good for up to 7500 miles between changes, depending on
driving conditions, so I will be sticking with that. As for using
Charmin to filter my oil, well, lets just say I will wait and see.

        Cynical as always,

        Vance