Simple overdrive question--hopefully!!

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Simple overdrive question--hopefully!!
From: "Campsmith, Michael" <mgc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:09:36 -0400
Hey everybody--

I added a J-type overdrive to my car and am anxious to try it out--but
I've never used an overdrive transmission and am not sure of the
technique.  The way I have it wired is the overdrive is disengaged when
the column switch is up.  I'm basing this on the fact that in my test
miles the tach had the previous readings at highway speeds.  With the
car not running but the ignition switch on I can activate the switch and
hear/feel the solenoid click.  If the switch is in the "wrong" position
I can just reverse the wiring plugs, true?

Anyway, what is the proper technique for engaging overdrive at speed?
Also, someone in the car club said engaging overdrive in reverse gear is
a definite no-no; something about burning up the solenoid.  Any thoughts
on that?

I still have a few electrical gremlins that I will ask about in a future
posting.  But so far things are coming together and I plan to make up
for the driving I have missed over the past year and a half.  Having a
working overdrive is a definite plus, so I look forward to your advice.

Thanks.

Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6--now British Racing Green