RE: Engine run on

To: "James_ TR6" <jattr6@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine run on
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 16:55:45 -0700
        James:

        You didn't say what year your car is.... The anti run-on valve
was installed in TR6s beginning in 1973, so if your car is earlier than
that, you need to look elsewhere.
        If your car is 73 or later, then yes, that is the place to begin
looking. You should make sure your plugs are the proper heat range,
however. If they are higher heat range, then they could indeed be part
of the run on equation. An anti run on valve should stop your motor dead
in it's tracks however, because it cuts off fuel to the motor, no matter
how hot your plugs are.
        1. Make sure your oil pressure switch is wired correctly;
White/Brown on the top center lug, black on the left lug, and
white/purple on the right lug. (This assumes center lug is oriented
towards the valve cover).
        2. Make sure your wires are connected to your anti run on valve:
White/pink and brown/red
        3. Check the functionality of the run on valve by disconnecting
the wires, and running jumpers directly to your battery. You should hear
it click loudly.
        4. Make sure that the vacuum line from the intake manifold to
the run on valve is connected, and free from leaks. Likewise for the
connection from the valve to the carbon canister.
        5. The small connection from the carbon canister to the carbs
must also be intact and leak free.
        6. The two remaining connections to the top of the carbon
canister (One to the engine breather, and one to the fuel tank vent)
must either be capped, or must have leak free hoses in good condition
connected appropriately to the engine and carburetors.
        If all of this checks out and you still have run on, there are
some other possibilities - bad oil pressure switch, lean fuel mixture,
carbon deposits in the head or on the plugs, etc. We can go through
those after you check this list out...

        Vance