RE: Engine gaskets

To: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine gaskets
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:41:52 -0700
        Rick:

        I asked my LBC mechanic the same question. He said the quality
was good on either
set, and that they had no problems with installing either type. I went
with the less
expensive set, and everything worked just fine.
        I will say this - the "All triumphs leak oil" is a real problem,
and if all
you do is pop in new gaskets, they will leak just like the old ones. The
problem is
with the design. The Brits like very thin gaskets, and rely on precision
surfaces
to do most of the sealing. The problem is that Triumph precision
surfaces aren't most
of the time.
        I recommend that you get a tube of Hylomar gasket dressing, and
use it on all the
gaskets except the head gasket. Moss sells Hylomar, but you can get it
for less at an
auto parts store. It is made by Permatex, and is surprisingly expensive,
but it does
work.
        Also, I found Teflon tape to be highly effective for things like
oil gallery plugs,
oil pan drain plugs, etc. So I suggest you consider that stuff as well.
        The British gasket technology on the older cars simply is not
adequate. The gaskets
are so thin in most cases that there is no "crush" possible, so they
simply do not seal
adequately unless you are very fortunate.

        Cheers,

        Vance