Low speed miss solved!

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Low speed miss solved!
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 11:00:51 -0700
        Folks:

        About 10 days ago I solicited some suggestions in hunting my low
speed miss. As you may recall, it would miss 2 maybe 3 times pulling
away from a light. The most reproducible way to get it to miss was to
put it in 4th, let the RPMs drop below 2,000 and then roll on the
throttle. 2-3 pops and it would accelerate smoothly.
        To date:

                Regapped plugs
                New points, condenser, dizzy cap, plug wires
                Sync carbs, new dashpot oil
                Check compression, set mixture.
                Set timing to 10 BTDC w/o vacuum retard.
                Checked for vacuum leaks
                Replaced frayed ground lead in dizzy.
                Checked dizzy phasing

        Suggestions from listers:
                Compression
                Bad Coil
                Dizzy phasing
                Dizzy cap
                Point gap
                Loose carb needle

        As you can see, I had started to work my way through the list of
suggestions offered by the list (Thanks for the suggestions everyone!)
but no joy.

        As I was rummaging around, I found a set of spare plugs I had
purchased a year ago. I thought "what the hey, I will toss them in."
        Gapped and installed. Voila, miss is gone!!!!

        The only thing I can think of is that I must have damaged the
older plugs somehow over the winter. They had less than 500 miles on
them, and they were platinum plugs. I had used platinum because when I
had bought plugs the first time, they were out of the plain vanilla
type, and the platinum were only a couple dollars more. They worked fine
last summer, so I can only guess that I dropped one, cracked an
insulator, or something. The gaps were waaay off when I regapped them,
so I know they got kicked around a bit before I reinstalled them this
spring (I had removed them and shot a bit of oil in each cylinder prior
to winter storage of the motor).
        Anyway, fresh plugs (non-platinum this time) and life again is
sweet. It will be interesting to see if they die after 500 miles, but I
think not.

        Your support is much appreciated.

        Cheers,

        Vance