RE: Howling from timing cover area

To: "Ruffner, James A *HS" <JAR7U@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu>
Subject: RE: Howling from timing cover area
From: Jay Snable <jsnable@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:09:08 -0700
Thanks for your and Dick's suggestion of the throw-out bearing. I may have two
issues - a noisy chain which I hear at the timing cover and the howling
bearing. The howling sound is intermitent and I may have just attributed it to
the front since I was trying to locate the other sound. To answer your
questions:

1. The sound(s) began after a few hours of run time, some on the road and quite
a bit "fiddling". The other parts installed were a camshaft and rebuilt
distributor (will be looking at that).

2. I do have bronze guides so that may explain the small amount of brass I saw.

Thanks again,

Jay