Re: Sticking t/o carrier

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sticking t/o carrier
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:16:39 -0700
Joe---With some well placed holes in the bell housing, you could
probably see to squirt some lubricant down onto the tranny front cover.
With the clutch disengaged to get a large area, of course, and the
heavier the grease, the better.

I am surprised that the bronze carrier, if this is what you have, is
sticking on the front cover, as this material should be superior to the
steel carriers.

Dick

From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com Date: Mon, Sep 12, 2005, 10:33pm (PDT+3) To:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: sticking t/o carrier
I need to lubricate my t/o bearing carrier. I've had some "sticking"
issues which I've narrowed down to the carrier hanging up on the end of
the transmission out put shaft. If I disconect the slave push rod and
slide the carrier back and forth a couple of times the clutch is smooth
as silk for a couple of hundred miles. I guess sliding it the full
length of it's travel causes the carrier to pick up a little grease, and
lubricates it for a while. After a while, the clutch, while functioning
normally, is sticky, and creaks like an old screen door. In retrospect,
I can't remember" what I used to lubricate the carrier. Obviously it
wasn't adequate. I do remember the bear grease was omitted from the TRF
gunst kit. I didn't think it would be that big a deal to use something
else. I checked the surfaces prior to assembly, and I thought it all
looked good, so I don't think the condition of the out put shaft/carrier
union is the issue, rather simple lack of lubrication. Question: Has
anyone tried to perform laproscopic surgery on the bell housing? I
wonder if I could drill three holes in the bell housing. One to see
through, one to shine a light through, and one to somehow apply some
grease to the shaft? Any ideas? Joe Davis