Re: DIY on Speedos?

To: "Sean OBrien" <saob_100@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: DIY on Speedos?
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:28:31 -1000
  It's not too hard to do, Sean.  You'll need to take the chrome ring and
glass off, then unscrew the two screws at the back of the speedo. This will
allow the whole mechanism to come out through the front.  The "blue jewel"
actually has a hollow 'stem' on the back, A round, waved-washer deal is used
in the back to keep the jewel in place on the dial face (it'll make sense
once you take it out).  The stem might have broken, so careful use of
superglue might get it back on the stem.

   That black plastic stuff is/was a shroud to keep the light from the
high-beam bulb concentrated on the jewel.  I had one where the rubber
'fossilized' onto the jewel stem and the stem broke off on disassembly.  I
used another jewel from a ruined parts speedo to replace it.  Spits and
maybe even any similar Smith's gauge (MGs?...) have the bits you'll need.

  I had to take my speedo completely apart to fix a decade of DPO neglect
and it now works great (and I'm no expert)  But the hi-beam light is very
dim even after cleaning it all up.  Just be slow and careful in disassembly
and have several jeweler screwdrivers ready.

Jeff
'74 TR6
Honolulu, Hawaii